With the New Year many companies budgets are in order and opportunities for hiring, or re-evaluating current employees, are back in focus. A necessity for either of these processes should be performing a proper background check in an effort to protect current employees and corporate assets alike. The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) recently released tips from industry experts on how to best accomplish properly screening potential applicants and current employees.
- Be Complete: Conduct a comprehensive background search to avoid negligent hiring. Relying on partial information or information that may be out of date can be as risky as not conducting a thorough background check at all.
- Be Efficient: Time is a precious commodity especially for recruiters. Look for ways to utilize technology to help create efficiencies. Talk with your background screening provider about ways to improve your process to save you money and time.
- Be Thorough: As an employer, you have certain responsibilities under the law. Make sure that all background screening practices meet federal and state regulations as well as industry requirements. Be mindful of the new Equal Employment Opportunity Commission criminal guidelines and the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Be Analytical: Consider job responsibilities when screening candidates. Go beyond basic background information and assess job relatedness and business necessity.
- Be Consistent: Develop a method for a targeted level of screening for each open job position to align with business needs and job relatedness.
With these tips you should also make accuracy a priority when conducting your investigation and select a provider that has a proven record of delivering quality information.
The Mission of the NAPBS® is to promote ethical business practices, promote compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and Equal Employment Opportunity Laws and foster awareness of issues related to consumer protection and privacy rights within the background screening industry.
CIC has been an industry leader since 1986 providing top quality information to bring you The Power of Decision.
About the Author